ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s not like this is the first time itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s happened so youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢d think this high-profile event would get it right!
While the blame game is raging, there is one simple fact that is being missed. Good graphic design would have prevented this embarrassing error.
It never ceases to amaze me how often the most fundamental principal of graphic design is missed nowadaysÃ¢â‚¬Â¦. form follows function. The function of the winnerÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s card that is drawn from the envelope is to enable the presenters to announce who has won what category. ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s not rocket science especially when you consider they have been running this event for nearly 90 years.
LetÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s deconstruct the actual winners card and you will see what I mean.
- When the envelope is opened the first thing that is visible is the Ã¢â‚¬Å“OscarsÃ¢â‚¬Â branding. IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m guessing the presenters know they are at the Oscars so it delivers zero communication value while taking up valuable real estate.
- The most important information the presenter should see is the name of the category, very handy if youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been handed the wrong envelope. In this case the category name is in small print at the bottom of the card which is totally useless in this situation.
- Next should come the winners name in a prominent font
- Other people who should be acknowledged at the time of announcing should follow
- And finally, the Oscars branding
ThatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s takes care of the function of the winnerÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s card and how itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s handled when in use. Now is the time to make it look good which is when the artistic side of graphic design kicks in, in other words, form follows function.
Related Tags: Flyer Printing Melbourne